Sunday, April 4, 2010

More of Texas



Albert, Texas. I set up camp in the middle of a pecan orchard, which was one of the highlights of the week. I met John who told me about a pickin parlor and which had a field to camp on, not to far from Luckenback. The sky was so bright with the full moon, very peaceful. I did not attend the Ray Wylie Hubbard festival this weekend. They had been sold out for weeks and could not find a ticket, to some of you, this will come as a shock, but I could not get past the gates without a ticket.
Cruised into Austin for a couple of nights, stayed behind the whole foods. They do not get as much money from me, ever since I quit buying their processed and/or frozen foods. Restocked on most of the bulk/dry items I could not find at the local HEB's. Went dancing a couple of times this week, my 2 step is getting better, but I still have a hard time with the turns. Texas is full of honky tonks live music and everybody dances. I also attended a Cross Canadian Ragweed concert. They are a great rockabilly group. I then headed down to San Antonio for a couple of days. Overnighted in a out of the way town, Floresville, which is best known for developing a particular type of peanut,which is grown in this county. The statue is very cool. It's plaque did not say what was so special about the nut, so I guessed maybe they came up with the peanut which has 3 nuts instead of 2 inside it.
Riding thru Texas country. My drive today was beautiful. The wildflowers are in full bloom. Pastures and road mediums are full of spring color. No pictures of course. duh!
Drove back to Smithville, going to ride Rocky Hill Ranch for a few days. I am in Riverbend City Park where the rates are great. $9.00 for seniors, this is the first time I have found where the age of 50 is considered to be a senior. I will get all my laundry done and fully charge the batteries. The solar panels and batteries have worked flawlessly. It is easier to plug into a powered location, to run the washer and dryer.
The community recreation center is great draw for me. When I was here last fall, I started working out, attending a step and stretching class. I am going to park behind the fitness center, which has a big lot. Resetting my goals. I hope to lose 18 more pounds and add more weight lifting to the program. This is a very aggressive goal, but with the better cooking and nutrition, which I have ongoing, I think I can get there.
My appointment to get the RV bulkhead repair is still set for 12APR10. I will drive to Nacadoochees next Sunday.

6 comments:

  1. Bob, I remember when you were watching my blog, silently at first, and then you chimed in a few times. I was surprised that anyone actually enjoyed my travels. Of course that was when I was moving more frequently and being less conservative in my travel approach. I am less carefree now, trying to conserve cash.

    Now the tables are turned. You rock since sending me a note that you had "escaped" and hit the road. I know few full-timing RVers that live the excitement that you seem to find. You know that the real U.S. is in the small settlements, hamlets, villages and towns. Not cruising the freeway from metropolis to metropolis while parking in $50/night RV 'resorts'.

    Kudos to you, my friend, and keep embracing your freedom -- while we still have freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Bob good to hear from you. I spent some time in San Antonio (architeture at San Antonio College) back in the 70's. Great town. Love hearing about it. Brings back memories

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Bob! What a great adventure. I feel like I'm back in Texas with your account of 2-steppin' and and pecan trees! Check out Big Bend while the weather is still mild. We're still hoping to see you in New Mexico someday!

    Jen and Joel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bob,

    I looked for you on the "Redneck Riviera" this weekend. Weather was beautiful at the beach. I did four shows in three days and now I'm back in New Orleans. Gonna sleep a bit then work on that CD some more.

    How your two-step coming along.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the oddest looking peanut ever.

    ReplyDelete